Lemon pies rank among the most loved desserts enjoyed by Belizeans. As delicious as they are, they’re easy to make. Here’s a simple step by step recipe to guide you:
- 2 Bowls
- 1 Rolling pin
- 1 Mixing spoon 1 Pie Pan
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of butter (A little extra to butter the pan)
- ½ cup of Crisco shortening
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 ounce of cold water
- Gather all ingredients
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Combine the flour, butter, brown sugar and shortening and begin to mix by hand.
- Slowly add in ice water as needed to get to a good rolling consistency.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set.
- Remove dough and begin to roll using a rolling pin.
- Butter the pie pan and place the rolled out dough in the pan and trim off the edges.
- Flute (pinch) the edges for decorative look and place in oven for 15 minutes then remove.
- 1 Dutch lady sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 3 egg yolk
- Mix the sweetened condensed milk with three egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and stir until you can no longer taste the egg yolk.
- Pour filling into pie crust that’s has been taken from the oven.
- Place the pie back into the oven for 15 minutes (If the filling starts to bubble it’s been in too long).
- Leave pie to cool for it set properly.